How to reduce the size of a video without losing quality
Knowing that you don’t want to move the video from your mobile to reduce the size of a video, we have several solutions on android. Have quality and light videos on A mobile phone it is not an easy task, so we need to find a way to shrink or compress them.
Although it is true that we can also use another set of online services that will allow us to perform this same action without having to resort to installing an app. So let’s see how to perform the video file reduction.
How to reduce the size of a video with Media Converter
Let’s move on to this simple way first being able to compress a video file without losing quality. It should be noted that videos are characterized by their bitrate, or what is the video bitrate. The higher this index, the better the quality, although having more information, the more weight the video occupies with all the logic in the world.
Where we can play our cards is using a codec that offers good video quality and at the same time it is able to reduce its weight. Let’s go straight to the H.264 video format, which has become a standard due to its excellent ability to save good image quality while reducing file weight.
What we will do for extract that codec is H.264 but with some configurations that drop down to reduce a video’s size.
- We download the Media Converter application from here.
- Let’s open the video we want to compress to have the same quality but with less weight
- The good thing about this app is that there allows you to use batches of videos to apply that compression and have a lighter video format.
- On the next screen, we will use the “Expert mode” and we select the MP4 video format which includes the H.264 codec that interests us and with the acc audio codec which also compresses its own. That is this: mp4 (h264, acc)
- You’ll see that we will reduce the size of the video but it’s fine.
- The rest of the options you will see are related to the exact second the video starts and the exact second it ends. We actually have no intention of changing the size of the video, so we stick to the simpler editing.
- Where is it you need to note is the bitrate of the video. Here we can carry out several tests to verify the quality by lowering it to 5000kb / s, trying to increase or decrease it. The important thing is to find a suitable bitrate that allows you to have the quality, but that reduces its size. We recommend you try 6000kb / s.
- Now we just have to configure where the exported video will be saved and click “Convert”
- It will start converting the video and we will have the video already compressed without quality loss, but with many megabytes less.
How to make a video smaller with Whatsapp
If there is one thing that characterizes WhatsApp, it is that will reduce the size of a video or photo automatically into so they don’t take up as much space in the user’s cloud or local storage.
It is true that if we want a photograph not to lose quality and we have to share it with someone we must use an external storage service such as Dropbox or email to send it to them. Sending videos on WhatsApp reduces its weight, but it can also reduce its quality. It will not look as sharp as the original.
So, if we’re skilled, we can use that great video optimization service to compress them and then save them from the folders where the media we use in WhatsApp are located. That is, we will send a message to ourselves on WhatsApp so that Whatsapp can compress the video for us.
AND an app we have at hand and the truth is you just need to know how to send a message to yourself on Whatsapp. We will move forward in this way:
- We can send messages to ourselves creating our contact with our mobile phone or creating a group in which there is only us.
- We create a contact and we add only us.
- Now the next What is to find that video file to send it to ourselves.
- Remember that it must be in an MP4 video format why you accept it. We can also use the first app with a high video bitrate so as not to lose quality and then WhatsApp is the one that reduces its weight in megabytes
- We take the video and send it to ourselves, we see that the video has already been compressed by Whatsapp.
So we can also use this method to reduce a recipe video, to tutorial etc.
Another program to resize videos on Android
We leave you another app that is easier to use than the one before which allows us the luxury of reducing the size of a video and without exerting too much pressure on the storage space we have on our mobile.
Has many reviews and its use is simple, just choose the video and then click a button that says “compress” and start doing the work. You can adjust the video quality between high, normal and low and it has a simple interface that doesn’t cause headaches.
Offers support for a wide variety of formats, allows you to remove audio as well as a basic editing on video and can even convert a video to an MP3 file to keep the audio only. Interesting without a doubt. It is a free app that we have available and that can be an important alternative to compress videos without too many worries.
How to decrease the size of a video with another program
Exist many websites that allow us to compress video online as if we were using an app like the ones mentioned above. If we don’t want to eat our heads and live the same experience we can try using this program to compress video for free:
- FreeConvert: it has the interface in English but it is perfectly understood that we have to choose a file and then compress it. You have the ability to change the output format between MP4, FLV, AVI, MKV, MOV and 3GP. It also has two codecs, H.264 and H.265. We can change the ability to compress video by size, video quality and maximum bitrate. Another interesting parameter is Target Size and is useful for manipulating the amount of reduction we want from a file. For example, if we had it at 10MB, 40% would leave the video at 6MB reducing 4MB.
- Clideo: is a website for compressing online videos similar to the previous one, although with a much more beautiful interface and with the virtue that is in Italian to help you in the process. We also highlight its end-to-end encryption, so what you upload will be protected so that no one can take a look. We also highlight the preview so that we can review it before downloading the final video file to our mobile.
A set of options to compress a video on our android phone and it doesn’t take up much space. A necessary asset especially if you don’t have a lot of storage space.
Although we also recommend using a cloud storage service to save all your videos. You get 100GB on Google Drive for $ 2 a month, so that’s not bad and you don’t have to worry about compressing videos anymore.