How to restore the smartphone to factory settings?
See how to restore a smartphone or tablet with Android, iOS and Windows to factory settings.
Restoring your mobile device, smartphone or tablet to factory settings is necessary when you want to sell it or want it to work as it was when you purchased it 🙂 Sometimes you just have to get rid of all your personal data from the phone. See how to safely restore and clean a smartphone with Android, iOS and Windows Phone.
The easiest way is to restore the smartphone to its factory settings – an option that allows you to restore the device to the state it was in at the time of purchase. No photos, no personal documents, nothing you wouldn’t want left on your device. See how to do it in a few simple steps.
Attention: After performing a factory reset, all data – including photos and other documents, game progress information, application data, SMS messages, call history, music, videos and more – will be deleted from the phone and there is no way to recover it. Make sure you have backed up all important data before performing a factory reset on your phone or tablet.
Factory reset on Android
If your phone is fully functional, just follow these steps:
- Go to Settings> Backup & Reset.
- Select Factory Defaults.
- Click on Reset phone / tablet.
- Finally, select Delete All and wait a few minutes.
The steps above look similar on almost any Android smartphone or tablet – this way you can factory reset Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S5, Note 3, HTC One (M8), LG G3, Sony Xperia Z2, Moto X, among others. Moto G, and many more.
If your smartphone does not start up properly and you cannot access Settings, you need to do the following:
- Turn off your smartphone or tablet.
- Hold down the volume down button and the power / lock key simultaneously for a few seconds (the so-called fastboot of your Android device will start).
- You will see a menu with several options. Navigate with the volume buttons. Select Factory. The phone will do the rest for you and will restore to factory settings in just a few minutes.
Factory reset on iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod)
- Go to Settings and select the General tab, then Reset.
- You’ll see a lot of options, but what you’re looking for is Erase Content and Settings.
- Tap this option and confirm that you want to erase all data on your iPhone or iPad.
- Your iPhone / iPad will start cleaning the device and in a few minutes it will be booted completely clean as if it came back from the production hall.
The steps above are compatible on the latest version of iOS for iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, and all versions of iPad and iPod touch.
Factory reset on Windows Phone
- Select Settings (the gear icon) and go to the Information tab.
- Then select Reset phone.
- Two warnings will be displayed. If you are sure you want to factory reset the phone, press Yes and then re-confirm.
- After a few minutes, your Windows device will be reset to factory settings.
You can perform the above steps on devices with the latest version of Windows Phone, such as Nokia Lumia 1020, Lumia 520, etc.
source: phoneArena: How to factory reset a smartphone (Android, iPhone and Windows Phone tutorial)